Friday, March 19, 2010

The post with lots of exclamation points!

Got some great veggies in this weeks box. Potatoes and carrots and leeks! oh my! I still had some carrots to use from last week so I decided to whip something up. Although it's starting to feel like summer (it hit 80 degrees today!!!) I can't give up on the soups. Not yet anyway. Once it hits 90 I'll be done, at least with the hot soup. Heirloom tomato gazpacho here I come! So I threw together the veggies and came up with a white bean soup with some dragon kale which came in the box. 
 
Ingredients: 

-1 leek, rinsed well and diced 
-a bunch of carrots, sliced 
-2 small potatoes, chopped into bigger chunks 
-1 and 1/2 cup water
-2 cans small white beans, drained and rinsed 
-half bunch dragon kale (rinsed and pulled off the stem) 
-lots of salt and pepper 
-1 tsp dried oregano 
-2 tbsp olive oil 

In a pot heat up the oil and add the leek. Once translucent add the potatoes and carrots. Stir regularly for about 5 minutes and add water. Bring to a boil then simmer. Once the potatoes are soft (poke 'em with a fork) then add the white beans and kale. Cover until the kale is noticeably reduced in size. Add dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste. I like a lot so I'm not about to tell people how much they should add. 

The only thing that would have made this soup super duper amazing would be thyme, but I don't have any right now. Maybe I should start a herb box for times like this. 


2 comments:

  1. blarg, I think this thing ate my comment- I repeat 'dear god, that sounds good'

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally made this yesterday- so yummy! thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete